Saanich Community Church exists to worship God with our whole lives, to build one another up as a community of faith, and to engage in God's mission of good news in the world.
As a congregation, we believe it is vital that we minister out of a common sense of who we are. The following 7 core values shape the missional expression of our purpose. These were formally adopted by the congregation after an extensive visioning process.
Saanich Community Church - Core Values
- Balance. God calls us to worship, to live as a community of Jesus’ disciples, and to embody and proclaim the gospel. We value integrating these three endeavours, not to prioritising them.
- Innovation. Innovation allows us to more effectively bring God’s love into people’s lives. We value finding creative ways to edify one another, worship more authentically, and bring God’s good news to our world.
- Anabaptist. We value our Anabaptist/Mennonite roots and we operate out of this tradition. We see the distinctive character of the Anabaptist movement as an important addition to the Victoria Christian Community. In keeping with our tradition we welcome all those who want to seriously commit to following Jesus, regardless of their denominational backgrounds.
- Diversity and Unity. Scripture calls us to “maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace” (Eph. 4.3). We value supporting and encouraging each other in our individual involvements, while still maintaining a strong sense of community. We realize that we need each other. Also, we value balancing the diversity of views within our congregation and working to maintain unity and loving relations in spite of our differences.
- People. Saanich Community Church is a group of believers who gather regularly at 4566 West Saanich Road, Victoria, BC. Saanich Community Church is not contained within a building but exists wherever its people are found. We value the church gathered on Sunday morning, and we value the church scattered all over greater Victoria and beyond.
- Equipping. We value teaching our people the story of God’s good news and equipping them to live as Christians wherever God has sent them.
- Partnership. We value enhancing our effectiveness by building partnerships with other groups who share complementary purposes.
Statement of Faith
We are members of the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, and hold to the 1999 Confession of Faith of that body of believers. Click on the link above to view our confession of faith (external link). If you want to know more about Mennonites, click here.
The Value and Practice of Communion at SCC
The Lord's Supper is one of our central acts of worship as a community. We have spent a great deal of effort discerning the role that the Lord's Supper plays in our congregational life. Click on Attachments to read our values regarding communion and how they flesh out in practice.